Subject: Front projection mapping
From: [email-masked] (Dean Anderton-Gough)
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 1996 03:04:53 -0800

Wow! My inaugural posting to the mailing list and the first one I've seen
from New Zealand.

Any other Kiwi's reading this send me some email. I don't know anyone else
in NZ using Lightwave so I'm getting lonely. Actually I'll talk to anyone !!!

Any how,back to business.

This may have been asked previously but I've only been subscribing for a few
weeks so keep the flames set to low.

Let me set the scene.

I have a background image of a desert scene loaded in layout.
I created a shaped flat polygon in modeler to match a montain pass on the image.
This was surfaced with a Front projection map of the same image.
Yet another polygon was created to act as a ground plane. Mapped the same
way with same image.

luminosity 0%
diffuse level 100%

Now from behind the first polygon a helicopter flys towards the camera.
It dips down to ground plane level where it should cast a shadow but it doesn't.

If I change the diffuse and luminosity levels I can get the shadows on the
ground plane to appear but the front projection map does not match the
background image any longer. Way too bright.

Any solutions well received.

On to a different subject that I have seen talked about here is Cinefex
magazine. I have recently become a subscriber and also bought half a dozen
back issues. This magazine is awesome. If you can spare the cash get it. Its
a special effects extravaganza.

At the current U.S. to N.Z. exchange rate that is my 0.29c worth.

Chow for now

Dean Anderton-Gough
Animator
Parallel Universe
Actrix Networks Limited                  Internet Service Providers.